Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Walking across the Nile

I walk a lot here since we don't have a car.  I really enjoyed walking across the Nile yesterday for the first time on my way to class from the Rotary Club meeting I attended.  Here are some photos from my walk.

In the field before I got to the bridge was my favorite Egyptian bird.

The bridge off to the right in the background is the one I walked across on.
This is across from the bank of the Nile.


What a view!  I couldn't help but try to imagine how this river has seen history unfold, the same river being watched thousands of years ago when the pyramids were being built between 2589 and 2504 B.C.
I really like the photo below of the young man on a bike.  He was biking by and I showed him my camera and asked if I could take his photo.  He nodded, giving me a big smile, then kept biking.

I'm starting to be less shy about asking people if I can take their pictures (after not taking pictures of so many interesting people or scenes because I was afraid to ask people if it would be ok for me to take a photo).  I'm still going to be cautious about taking photos, but I've found the few times I've asked people, they've been pleased to be asked and have said yes.  

It's interesting that quite a few people have asked us if they could take photos of us or themselves with us and especially if they can take photos with Cameron.  We always say yes (as long as Cameron is ok with it-- once he wasn't because he was tired of being photographed so much in one day at the pyramid walk).  

It was very windy on the bridge!

The other side of the Nile.  On the right is a faluca
(what the boats are called that cruise up and down the Nile in the Cairo area)



No comments:

Post a Comment